Review requirements and materials to submit in your application to VCU.
Transfer applicants must submit a VCU application, found in VCU's applicant portal. Be sure to select the application for your intended term of entry (fall 2022, spring 2023, etc.) and your applicant type (transfer, readmission, reactivation, etc.) Not sure which application type to choose? Find out more about each option.
Here's what you need to know if you’re interested in transferring to VCU:
- Priority application review will be given to transfer applicants who have completed at least 30 semester (45 quarter) hours at their former institution(s).
- Transfer applicants should be in good standing with previous institutions attended.
- Transfer applicants should present a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 preferred from all accredited institutions to be competitive for admission to VCU.
- Transfer applicants with fewer than 30 semester (45 quarter) hours also will be reviewed on the basis of their high school performance and should submit their high school transcripts.
Find out about the materials you'll need to submit with your application.
All applicants are eligible for test score optional review, regardless of GPA. Applicants who are able to take a standardized test and would like the scores to be used in our application review may still submit scores. All students will receive a holistic application review.
As always, the university will select applicants who present the strongest qualifications in scholastic achievement and potential, and through a holistic review of other evidence of potential including the strength of character. Each applicant will continue to be reviewed on an individual basis.
Transfer applicants must submit an official transcript from each previously attended college or university, including summer schools. If less than 30 semester (45 quarter) hours have been completed, applicants also must submit high school transcripts.
Official transcripts must be delivered to the Office of Admissions unopened and sealed in their original envelope (mail to: VCU Office of Admissions, Box 842526, Richmond, VA 23284-2526).
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens but are authorized to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis can apply for admission to VCU as degree-seeking, transfer students. In addition to providing all required application materials by the stated deadlines, permanent residents must provide a copy of their green card or other residency document.
Applicants whose native language is not English must exhibit English language proficiency by meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Reside in the U.S. for 10 or more years
- A score of at least 22 on the Reading test of the SAT
- Complete six semester hours of college-level English composition with the grade of C or better (excluding ESL classes)
- Present a TOEFL score of 70 or more on the internet-based test (undergraduates) with the exception of the College of Engineering, which requires an 80 or more on the internet-based test; Reading 13-18, Listening 12-19 and Writing 21-23 PBT; or IELTS of 6.0 (academic band score) and 6.5 for engineering. The required PTE score is 53 or 7.5 TOEFL Essentials (8.5 for engineering).
Undergraduate health sciences programs
Transfer students who wish to apply to undergraduate programs in clinical laboratory sciences, clinical radiation sciences, dental hygiene and nursing on the MCV Campus should be aware that courses and credit requirements for admission vary for each program.
Applicants to any of these programs must submit supplemental admission materials, all of which are available online. Each program uses a self-managed application process and faculty committees to evaluate criteria appropriate to the profession. Please carefully read and follow all instructions outlined on each department’s admission information page:
School of the Arts applicants
School of the Arts applicants must submit supplemental materials. Visit the School of the Arts transfer applicant page for requirements and deadlines. For more information, call the school at (804) 828-2787 or toll-free at (866) 534-3201.
College of Engineering applicants
College of the Engineering transfer applicants must submit supplemental materials. Visit the College of Engineering transfer applicant page for requirements and deadlines.
VCU Honors College applicants
In addition to the application for undergraduate admission, all applicants to the VCU Honors College must submit an additional application and meet specific criteria as described on the VCU Honors College website. For more information, contact the school at (804) 828-1803 or email@example.com.
Don't miss an important transfer deadline.
- Nov. 1
Spring regular decision
- Nov. 15
Spring Honors College transfer deadline
- March 15
Fall transfer regular decision
Find answers in our FAQs
Have questions about the application process? Explore our frequently asked questions.