First-year application checklist
Follow the checklist below to complete your Common App to VCU.
- Read all instructions and submit the required application materials with your Common App, noting the application deadlines.
- Choose the email address you will use for VCU correspondence. Make sure it stays active for at least one year since we will use it to contact you throughout the application process.
- Answer all questions on the Common Application and submit it to VCU.
- Include your Social Security number on your application if you wish to be considered for financial aid or the American Opportunity tax credit. Find out why we ask for your Social Security number.
- Request that your school counselor send your transcript, including:
- Senior-year courses and first-term grades, if available
- Class rank, if available
- High school profile
- Remember, VCU will review all applications for admission and scholarship consideration without standardized test scores.
- Pay the $70 application fee when submitting the Common Application.
After you submit your application
If you need to make changes to your application once it’s been submitted, find out how to make updates. Do not submit more than one application — if you do, only the first will be processed.
When to expect our admission decision
First-year applicants who submit all materials by the regular decision deadline of Jan. 17 for fall admissions will receive a decision by April 1, otherwise decisions are sent on a rolling basis until enrollment capacity is met. Admissions decisions will be posted in your VCU applicant portal. Find additional admission decision posting dates on the application status page.
Don't miss an important application deadline!
- Nov. 1
Spring regular decision
- Nov. 1
Fall scholarship consideration
- Jan. 17
Fall regular decision
Find answers in our FAQs
Have questions about the application process? Explore our frequently asked questions.